Friday, November 23, 2007

Another day in the hood

Back in July, I detailed an action-packed day in the Brixton 'hood. Scroll down to the first July entry. Last Sunday I had another eventful day which shared some of the homely niceness, but added a lot more gritty street realism. This time I:

1. Baked a cake. Apple and plum this time, following the same basic recipe as the blueberry and pear one from the summer. Tasty apples from the Bingley garden.



2. Witnessed a fight in Tesco. This was brilliant! I had only just entered and was choosing some bananas (must have a bit of green, no brown) when there were shouts from the entrance a few metres away. A big guy was shouting 'Don't slap me!' and was trying to hit a woman. She was screaming about something and trying to hit him back. Her son (I guess) was screaming 'HE HIT MY MUM! YOU F*CKER!' and trying to hit the first guy. The first guy then chinned him. Lots of shoppers were gathering to watch and the security guards piled in to try and stop it. They initially seemed to have done the trick and wrestled the three protagonists apart. Then the boy realised that he was surrounded by weaponry, grabbed a few pot plants from the aisle and started chucking them at the first guy. It all flared up again - lots of shouts, screams and swearing. In the chaos that followed someone actually threw a child's pushchair across the store. A child started crying (I don't think they were in the pushchair at the time). I stood gawping, thoroughly enjoying the spectacle. The son was pushed outside and continued to yell about what he was going to do to the first guy. It all calmed down, 3 police cars, 1 police van and 1 ambulance rolled up, and shoppers eventually got back to their shopping. I went home and excitedly told CP all about it. Superb.

Sadly, a photo will not follow.

3. submitted a legal action against a shockingly incompetent / downright crooked* internet-based mobile phone company. I won't name them here, I'll wait until I have won my claim before I do that. I signed up for one of those too-good-to-be-true free phone contracts earlier in the year: send your bills in and if you adhere to our ludicrously strict small print we send your money back. Well the company in question haven't given me the money back, despite me adhering to their ludicrously strict small print, and have repeatedly bullshat me with excuses / lies* about problems with their computers, claim backlogs and bank complications. I realised that my polite, increasingly firm emails/phone calls were just being ignored and it was time to get legal on their ass. Smell my writ you mothers!

(* delete as applicable, but it's the latter)


Then I had a nice sit and a cup of tea.

6 comments:

Moon said...

Productive day all round! Fight sounds exciting, but only because you were not a lone spectator and because you could hide behind the aisles to escape if needs be. Fights aren't so nice when in close proximity. I bet Tesco would be a great place for a fight. Also for laser quest.

Keep us posted with the legal action. I fell out with someone in Carphone Warehouse yesterday. Not only did they try to add a cheeky extra tenner onto my bill, they also demanded a lot of personal details. I refused. None of their business! They got arsy. I got arsy. The only detail I gave them before storming out was that I was a doctor. Which is a lie of course, and probably a ridiculously unfortunate pre-viva fate-tempter.

frankien said...

I'm glad that other people have these annoying scenarios where they have to ring people up for days on end and then you end up wasting more money than you're owed.

btw, as I listen to domino dancing on my radio, I am reminded that you had some great pet shopboys tracks playing recently. I was suddenly reminded of the lyric:
'remember when you were more easily led behind the cricket pavillion and the bicycle shed'.

what a great track.

Christophe Lamby-Pie said...

Heh. Good skills.

I got involved in a fight in a kebab shop in Worcester last week.

Some couple were kicking off with another couple, so I stepped in to stop some poor girl getting mullered. She's screaming at me, "Who the f*ckin' 'ell are you?", while I'm trying to help her.

Two minutes later, her fella is getting the stuffing knocked out of him by the big lad, and she's screaming at me, "Call the police! Call the police!"

You just can't win.

Moon said...

That pizza/pie looks amazing! Good work Prof.

Any updates re: falling out with phone people?

Kebab shop fight sounds like ideal telly. Would have preferred a bit of distance from the crime scene I reckon.

Tombola said...

It's a plum and apple cake you fool! Pizza/pie indeed. :(

Phone updates...none as yet. The scumbags have a few days to respond.

Moon said...

The cake looks delicious! Infinitely more so than my tofu stir fry for tea...

Phone people = bastards.