Wednesday, September 03, 2008

You're twisting my melons man....

Time for a belated garden update!

Is it Harvest Festival time soon?

Well there's no need to dig out a mouldy old tin from the back of the cupboard, because we'll be able to contribute some of our homegrown bounty.

After abandoning the growbag of death (it killed virtually everything that was planted in it), new runner beans were planted in pots and have been as successful as last year. Hurrah!

Our first potato crop wasn't quite the success I was hoping for, but we did get a few out of it and still have another two bags to dig up. Also in the potato bag was this scary clump of alien eggs.

Peppers are growing, just very slowly.

The time? Tomatoes o'clock.

But my attention has mainly been on melons. Write your own joke. After a few started sprouting from the wormery (more on that another day, probably), I tried growing them properly in home-made plastic milk bottle pots. To my surprise and delight, two out of three are doing really well and flowering. CP refuses to believe that I can actually get an edible melon from it but I'm optimistic! The third one would have been doing fine too if it hadn't been chomped at by a slug. It was probably looking for cigarettes, eh Moon?

3 comments:

Moon said...

Did anything hatch from the alien eggs?

Moon said...

PS Yes melons should be able to grow fine! I think we used to grow them in a greenhouse though, so you're doing well without such technology. Looks like you cats are doing v well with the market gardening. Am impressed! I want to grow chillis and olives. This year hasn't been too successful for me - I went to Canada and returned to find that someone had destroyed my hedge and left the remains over the small garden where all my plants were. They all died. Tis a sad tale. I overwatered the garlic and rotted it, too. Herbs did well though.

Enjoy your melons!

Moon said...

Today I did an awful thing when immersing my bonsai in water (which has to be done every now and then). Endless baby woodlice that had been living in the pot emerged and swam through the water in which I was immersing the plant. (Yes woodlice can swim, it seems! They are technically crustaceans after all, but not of the terrifying kind.) It was impossible to save them all so I left them, hoping they would somehow save themselves in a survival-of-the-fittest fashion. Alas, most drowned and the remaining fittest, I swooshed down the plughole. I am going to hell.