Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Another kill and I get my '00'

It's been a traumatic day. Readers keen on animal rights might not want to read any more of this. Ditto anyone about to eat a meal. This blog can't be all sunflowers and knitting. I need to report the bad stuff too.


Regular readers may recall that we've had a long-running battle with mice in our house. Initially I ignored them, but then the battle became gradually more extreme, through humane traps, various baits, snap traps and then poison. Recently though, there's been no problem and they seemed to have got the message that they weren't really welcome. Until this morning. I came downstairs to find a mouse in the snap trap. Only it wasn't dead. Its back leg was caught in there and although it was alive, it certainly wasn't very well. While I agonised over what to do, it would occasionally make small pathetic movements with its other paws.


Two options then. Let it go somewhere, where it would most likely die a pretty slow death. Or complete a murine act of euthansia. I took it outside and to the end of the street where there was a big pile of rubbish. There, I released it from the trap. I was hoping that it might maybe give me a little wink, shake the cramp out of its leg, and skip merrily away. No. It dragged itself a couple of cm, and then gave up. Still breathing, but looking incapable of moving any distance. The old internal debate kicked in: I must do the decent thing, finish the poor animal off. But maybe it just needs a rest after its stressful experience? When it's recuperated it might be ok? Come on, look at its leg - it's practically detached. By now it was after 7am and a few people were walking past on their way to work. I had to make a decision.


In amongst this pile of junk were some paving slabs. I don't need to spell out what happened here. It wasn't pretty, and I felt pretty sickened afterwards. But at least it was swift.



*


A while ago Ak was griping about how freak storms were smashing up his sunflowers. I scoffed. Yeah yeah, just because your sunflowers are puny weaklings. But now I have some sympathy. This evening our garden was pummelled by hailstones. Leaves were shredded, and flowers smashed.











The pics show a sunflower leaf, and a nasturtium, as any fule kno. Ripped to pip, I tell you!

3 comments:

Moon said...

Ah Prof! Sorry tales all round. I sympathise re: the mouse debate. There's no doubt you did the right thing. I wouldn't have been able to do that; the easy option is a cruel one. I'm often faced with the same decision when Dave brings me a half mangled bird. Of course I would also have to risk my life by taking said bird from the playful cat in the first place.

And take solace from the fact that Ak's sunflowers recovered. I don't think this is the end. This is nature. Your strong beasts will surely bounce back.

Hang in there! x

Moon said...

PS At least you managed to grow the flowers in the first place. Mine are still only about up to my knees (2").

frankien said...

You only get an oo from typhoo