Monday, September 25, 2006

F*ck Hoff!


As a kid, I LOVED Knight Rider. Would spend ages playing with my two pull-back-and-go 'K.I.T.T.'s (bonus points available for remembering what K.I.T.T. stands for without looking it up). Unlike most boys my age, I was never into Baywatch. But I'm baffled by the current rage for all things 'Hoff'. I just don't get it! This blog has been spurred by 3 events:

1. out for lunch just now I spotted a poster at London Bridge station advertising his forthcoming single 'Jump in my car'. It's not promoted as being David Hasslehoff, no, the poster says the new record is by 'The Hoff'.

2. during our recent adventures in New Zealand, we did a hike up a glacier. Our guide told us about a new route that he & his colleagues had hacked out of the ice the day before. The guides try to give the routes names so that they can explain to the other guides where they have been up the continually changing ice shelf. This latest path, we were proudly told, had been christened 'Don't hassle the Hoff'.

3. at the pub last week a team-mate got his phone out and eagerly showed a photo that he had recently taken on it. "It's the Hoff!" he said excitedly (he'd been signing books in London recently so my mate had got a pic).

I'm also regularly emailed with stuff like the picture above. There are hundreds of them! Just look on google.

At the risk of sounding a bit Victor Meldrew, I don't get it! What is it about him? Why has he suddenly achieved cult status? Why do otherwise sensible people bang on about 'The Hoff' as if he is the greatest thing in the world?

That aside, this pic is brilliant. Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis?

7 comments:

Lord G said...

Certain shit people gain cult status don't they. Richard Whiteley, Des O' Connor (perhaps), Terry Christian, etc.

frankien said...

Youre right, its all about the hoff at the moment. he was all over heat magazine a couple of months ago.

I dont know what KITT stands for, and am not looking it up so you can tell me. I do know that hoff is German for home though.

G- dont diss the Whiteley. he pinched my bottom.

Lord G said...

May I point out that the original 'Hoff' was a beer-drinking bear, whom adorned a yellow bomber jacket, and perhaps (if my memory serves me correctly), a trilby-type hat.

We were encouraged to "follow the bear".

I'd be more like to head for that Hoff(meister) than the curly-haired variety.

However, old Stones Bitter and John Smiths ads were more enjoyable than the bear.

Tangent anyone?

Tombola said...

Knight Industries Two Thousand

Moon said...

Yes that picture is, indeed, class. As for the Hoff: I think his legendary status is questionable. He's one of those figures that has been forced to become a caricature of himself and has therefore earned little genuine respect. Also, he is currently advertising pipex internet or something... I forget. But for a pop/film star/iconic figure from the late 80s, his income can't be that great.*

*My income is less great. So on the offchance that anyone would like me to advertise crappy internet stuff, I would gladly accept.

Shitely pinched your bum?!!

Moon said...

I've just re-read my comment. And for a cheesy guy with a curly wig I suppose it doesn't matter if he's earned genuine respect or not. He's wealthier than I will ever hope to be. And he will never age (whether that be the result of surgery or otherwise). Good on that sunbed loving mullet man.

emily said...

i totally agree, where did this "The Hoff" thing suddenly spring from? Although, respect due to anyone who can be in two places at once. Was anyone else listening to the radio last week when he was simulataneously the star guest on the Steve Wright show and Scott Mills? How does he do it?!