Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Loose ends reunited

After tracking down the original toilet door entry, I indulged in a bout of harmless blog onanism, looking back at past entries (I must confess to being rather fond of my long-arms pic). So, I thought it might be appropriate to provide an update on some of the stories to have featured here in the opening eight months of Tombolablog…


Celebrity spotting
Then: notebook and instructions mysteriously posted by anonymous benefactor.

Now: An early flurry of sightings led to several entries. Pickings have, however, proved far from rich in recent months.


Bird feeder
Then: thriving, noisy food station for Brixton’s population of blue tits, great tits, goldfinches and robins

Now: grounded. Taken down by my housemate while I was on holiday. Brixton’s dirty pigeons overwhelmed our small garden and bullied us into submission by thrashing about outside my window every morning. A second attempt is being considered for later in the year…


Jive dancing
Then: Brave and courageous foray into self-improvement that earned me the respect and admiration of my peers.

Now: Beginners Level One completed, Level Two was set to begin this month. However, recent changes at South Pacific have left a question mark over the courses, and jive dancing at all, at that venue.


Chester
Then: inquisitive, shy rodent that kept himself to himself and left very few clues as to his presence.

Now: Openly flaunting widely-respected and commonly-held standards of communal-living etiquette. A new front has opened on the ‘war on terror’. The device suggested by Munch here has been purchased and should arrive later this week… Time to pack your bags, son.


Knitting
Then: Pioneering, boundary-smashing widening of horizons greeted with respect, warmth and approval by friends and colleagues.

Now: The scarf has grown slowly, but much further work is required before it can be used in the manner intended. Knitting club has not been attended since that successful initial visit, but this is largely due to holiday and work commitments.

4 comments:

- said...

You really are a jack of all trades! But how many of these hobbies will become long termers?

You remind me a little of the hobbies man from Fist of Fun, do you sup any weak lemon drink whilst engaging in your activities or have you not acquired a suitable thermos yet?

frankien said...

Yes, I remember the hobby guy. simon quinlank? Did you know that all the tapes of fist of fun perished in a fire?

Second thing- my brother is playing a gig at some London I Knit event- suggest you go along. well, its up to you of course.

Tombola said...

Seriously? Has that been organised by I Knit? Or is it part of the forthcoming National Knitting Day (sometime in October I think)?

frankien said...

Not sure of the details, but I shall find out. Apparently they went into a wool shop with all their instruments and met a guy there who asked them to do a gig.