Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Calm down, dear!


Tonight I was planning to write a catch-up piece of stuff since my last entry. It was shaping up to be a cavalcade of fun: going to Brighton, comedy sunburn, not watching the England v Portugal game (bloody hell, you’d think I’d punched a nun in the face by the reaction I got after that), crying at the separation of Dr Who and Rose Tyler, my new bird feeder (take that pigeons!), my impending jaunt across the world, the real live debut of DJ Disco Factors, my fab idea for a post-wedding gift, celebrity updates… but all that will have to wait.

It’s not the clearest photo, I know. It looks like the kind of shots you get on the front of the Mirror showing clumsy-footed biddy fiddler Wayne Rooney exiting a Toxteth knocking shop. But the paparazzi-style snap above was taken earlier this evening in my kitchen. I know because that paparazzo was me. That blob in the centre right? It’s a mouse. Not a rat in me kitchen, thank god. I’ve christened him Chester, which I think is a rather good name for a mouse in Brixton.

Months ago I thought I spotted a mouse scurrying across the kitchen floor but I’d seen no signs since and had pretty much forgotten about it. True, there are the odd squeak noises that sound like they’re coming from the back of the fridge, but I thought that maybe they were, er, wonky pipes or something. Tonight, while making my tea, the squeaks seemed to be more prominent. For the first time I tried to find out where they were coming from. I shone my torch round the back of the fridge and under the cupboards. No sign of anything untoward though. Later, returning to the kitchen… what was that?! I was sure I heard something dashing across the worktop. It was time to get to the bottom of this. So, after putting on my trainers (like pulling up your duvet to prevent being attacked in bed, I always feel far more secure when wearing shoes. Maybe it’s from watching Die Hard too many times as a kid) I stood quietly in the kitchen doorway with the light off. Sure enough, there was soon some rustling and a shadow dashed across behind the taps. The light went on but by now the mouse (I’d not christened him by this point) was getting pretty cocky. It strolled back along the top, and climbed down the back of the fridge.

Now I decided that I wanted a picture. So in true cartoon style I stood on a chair like that woman out of Tom and Jerry. I waited with my camera poised and aimed at the area where I’d last seen Chester. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. After 30 minutes of squeaking but no sign of anything murine, I was getting pretty bored. I had been standing very still, on a chair, like David goddam Blaine. Hello…here he comes… And just to muck me about, on the opposite side of the kitchen, Chester peeped his nose out from behind the oven. As soon as the above photo was taken, he scarpered. I then got all Ray Mears and searched for clues. Here are my findings (with cockney rhyming info labels. Apart from ‘crumbs’. I think they really are crumbs):

So what happens next? Well, I email my landlady telling her we are infested and then bugger off to Australia/New Zealand for 3 weeks! Pip pip!

22 comments:

Moon said...

Well I think that's lovely! Welcome to the world of blog, Chester. I think it's about time you had a pet. Now, we have to discuss ethics. Are you hoping to remove Chester? Or have someone else do it for you? Keep him around! My Dave (he's my cat) caught me a mouse a while back - he used to bring me gifts, the little love. Anyway he wouldn't kill them and would bring them in my room. So, a little collection of mices developed in my house. I couldn't kill them. I enquired through the biologists at the Uni how to catch them in a humane way. Cheese and jam jars did not product desired effects. So I just left them. Every now and then a mouse would appear and watch telly with us. From under the fridge, granted, it didn't have its own LazyBoy or anything. But it was nice to have around. Dave didn't seem bothered, either.
The moral of this story is thus: those who keep pets live happier lives. Don't get rid of cheeky Chester. He sounds like such a character. Mices have feelings, too, so therefore try not to tread on him or kill him in a trap. Or any other way. Long live Chester!

x

Lord G said...

I want a dog. A big dog. Called Dave.

This blog is infinitely more entertaining than your "the blog of Alan Tichmarsh (uphill gardner)" ramblings ;-)

Tombola said...

jesus, I try and put some variety on here and all you do is moan. You moaned about my jive and now you moan about my gardening attempts. I don't why I bother sometimes.

Lord G said...

And the bird feeder. You missed that one out.

frankien said...

I am not sure you should keep a mouse. I think you need to get rid. chances are, its not the only one. and naming it will only make it more painful when you have to say goodbye.

that was quite tame. to be honest what I was really thinking was the following:
'holy crap! what is wrong with you people that you have mice living in your house? dont you ever clean? Moon, shame on you!'

Moon said...

I knew that someone would detect the tramp-esque lifestyle! As highlighted above, I do clean - Dave was to blame. But how can said mices be "removed" humanely? Maybe a polite request would do the trick.

Tombola said...

I believe that mice are like nits - they only come to the cleanest homes. Munch must be the dirty one. [Insert smutty comment by Gaz here]

frankien said...

I think its more accurate to say that nits like all hair, its not true that they dont exist in dirty peoples hair. I would like to refer you to the following information site: http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ruth.livingstone/little/headlice.htm
anyway, heres a friendly way to get rid of mice:
http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=36&r=GOOG

frankien said...

oops, headlice site is:
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ruth.livingstone/little/headlice.htm

and you were just itching to go there as well.

itching, haha. yeah.

Tombola said...

That looks like it would give me tumours

frankien said...

oh sod it. its headlice.htm
at the end. it wont print it all for some reason.

Its a sound wave, isnt it? I think you'll be safe enough.

Lord G said...

I recall you being quite dirty Frankie.

Lord G said...

Ok, sorry... it was a joke.

Tombola said...

Munch - Gaz told me you were dirty

Lord G said...

hahahahahaha you fibster you.

Lord G said...

I know it's somewhat a digression, but I have to comment on the title of the blog. I am guessing that it's taken from that shitty advert that Michael Winner is on. I just have to point out that sound of him saying that is now stuck in my head, and it's annoying the shit outta me.

Tombola said...

You are spot on G! I was quite proud of that title actually. I spend a disproportionate amount of time working on the title of each entry and I had various possibilities for this one. But once I thought of the Winner one, well there was only going to be one, er, Winner!

Lord G said...

I find it almost as annoying as that insurance advert from old. It went along the lines of:

Voice over: "are insurance costs getting you down?"

Ginger-headed brash gentleman: "stupid, just stupid"

Another twat with a silly accent: "I saved a packet"

That still annoys me. I need a drink.

Tombola said...

Don't think I know that one. I fucking hate that one with the dickhead on. Is it 'confused.com'? it starts with a cartoon face with a squiggly mouth (confused, I suppose) and then a dickhead shouting a lot and pretending to pull his hair out. He's a dickhead.

frankien said...

I thought that your title was douby clever because the esure adverts now feature a mouse (with a somewhat inconsistent NY accent). I am assuming that was intentional.

- said...

Why has no-one else commented on the rhyming-slang names? They're brilliant! 'Douglas' was a stroke of genius.

A
xxx

Tombola said...

Cheers Ak! And cheers Munch! Wow - 21 comments in one day....this is unprecedented. I must confess that I probably got 'Douglas' from the Profanisaurus though....