Friday, July 14, 2006

Knit one, purl one, drop one, curl one

What with my estranged relationship with football and the increasing emphasis on here to gardening and wildlife, I’ve been detecting a few suggestions that I am losing my masculinity. I had this in mind when looking for a new pastime and so tonight I found myself enrolling at Streatham Ninjas: Ultimate Fighting Training.

HRNK! Not really, this evening I was actually to be found sat outside the National Theatre merrily knitting with my new friends from I Knit London. That’s right. I'm learning to knit. Deal with it. My first knitting project is a scarf:



As you can see, I’m being a little adventurous for a beginner by making it ribbed (more obvious on this one but the colour doesn't come out as well):

I actually started it at Christmas but then forgot what my mum and gran had taught me and so it lay in my cupboard for six months. And it may have stayed that way had I not spotted a flyer for I Knit London at Spitalfields Market recently. It’s a brand new knitting club that meets every second Thursday at venues across the city, and also has a stall at the market. Tonight the setting was the South Bank and we were entertained by ‘Mario: Queen of the Circus’ who juggles to Queen tracks, which was actually very impressive.

It being Thursday, I decided to give 5 a side a miss and go knitting instead (I can almost hear Ak slapping his forehead in Sydney from here), and I’m glad I did. Everyone was very friendly and I must thank Vanessa for helping me get started again. I did make one mistake after getting a bit overconfident and trying to chat and knit at the same time (I did 3 knit stitches instead of two, knocking out the rib) but fortunately she fixed it for me and I could continue. I added several rows to the scarf this evening and now I need to keep on at it so that I don’t forget it all again. I’d like to have taken my knitting on the plane to pass some time but that’s probably a non-starter.

I would also like to promote the current charity work that the knitters are working on: Knit a River. They are collecting blue squares to produce a river and act as a petition to promote the work of WaterAid. Squares have been donated from all over the world.

For those who are interested, the yarn I am using is Sirdar Denim Chunky:


And on that bombshell, I’m off on my hols! It’s possible that I will blog while away, but I wouldn’t count on it. Cheerio!

5 comments:

Lord G said...

Come back dancing, all is forgiven.

I'd kill for a game of football - to play that is. I love playing even though I'm shit. I just can't be arsed with all the ponceyness that goes with it.

Tombola said...

Yawn

I still like playing footy. Knitting is every fortnight so i might end up alternating. There's also talk of knitting moving to weds so everyone's a winner.

frankien said...

good skills on the knitting, it is a fulfilling hobby. though you will quickly discover that it costs more money to knit a scarf yourself than to buy one...
it can also then cost in extras. I had to buy loads of sequins for a scarf to cover up the messy bits.

Tombola said...

yeah, people were saying yesterday how much it costs to do stuff. that's a big reason Gerard set up the market stall he said - so he could buy yarns wholesale and get them cheaper

Tim said...

i am amazed. what are you doing with your life Willis?