Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Who's reaching out to capture a moment? Everyone knows it's Windy

There’s more to Brixton than drug dealing, beggars and people wearing snakes on their head* you know. No, really. Several times I’ve told people about Brixton Windmill and they’ve gone, ‘yeah, the pub’. No, a real windmill. In fact, it’s the closest windmill to central London and it’s about time that Tombolablog doffed its cap.




Way back in March, Hackin and I went on an expedition to the windmill. I was going to write about it on here but the windmill was closed and there wasn’t much to see so I didn’t bother.

However, last weekend was Open House and Brixton Windmill was one of more than 600 participating buildings. Some facts:

  • it was built in 1816 and was still a working mill in the 1930s
  • it’s black because it was painted in tar to protect it from the weather
  • it’s now a Grade II listed building.

Since January, I’ve become a dancer, knitter and amateur pest controller. To that list can now be added ‘Friend of Windmill Garden’.



* Last weekend I saw a guy with a snake on his head.

3 comments:

Moon said...

And look at that beautiful blue sky! Not my perception of Brixton at all. And am pleased to see you haven't abandoned Tombolablog - I was worried for a bit, there!
x

Tombola said...

Cheers Unit. Good to be back. Not my most enthralling blog but I just wanted to get back in the game. I have 2 more on the horizon that should be better but they do involve handicrafts so may take some time to emerge!

- said...

Handicrafts eh? I hope these ones don't involve spearing piegeons with sharp pens. That was a little disturbing.