Friday, October 20, 2006

Every day I write the blog

Earlier today the screen on the cashpoint informed me that this week is 'National Identity Fraud Week'. I wish I'd known that on Monday when I spent 90 quid at Sainsbury's: I would have pretended to be the guy who used to live at my address whose post I keep opening*

But this did get me thinking about something that's occurred to me in the past. How far ahead does stuff go? My diary runs until the end of the year. Depending on how conscientious and vigilant I'm being I might have a good grasp of what's happening at work in the next fortnight (deadlines, meetings etc). More often than not, I have no idea what's happening tomorrow, only finding out - and often panicking - when I look it up in my diary the evening before.

It's good to plan ahead, of course - important dates will get entered on a calendar so that your best friend's wedding doesn't end up double booked with a weekend away or something. The furthest I book stuff is approximately 1 year and I reckon that's fairly normal. But how far ahead is stuff planned? I sometimes ponder the existence of a giant global calendar....the dates of the Olympic Games of 2008, 2012, 2016...World Cups, Eurovision even. We're regularly told that this is Year of X, National Y Week (incidentally, this week is also National Knitting Week. Didn't plan that too well did you, fraud prevention people?), but when are these booked? Who decides on them and when they should be? Sky, probably. Then there are those stupid ones that people try and sneak in e.g. National Talk Like A Pirate Day. Do me a favour!


* of course this is a joke

3 comments:

Lord G said...

Actually I'm a big fan of Talk Like a Pirate Day, as I'm sure Fordy is too... Why shouldn't that have a day if every other daft idea/concept/pastime should have a 'day'?

frankien said...

There was also a national starbar day. yes, as in cadburys starbars. another fine example of a chocolate bar made up of factory floor sweepings.

Tombola said...

Seriously? Jesus.

Talk Like A Pirate Day is stupid. It's for student idiots thinking they are clever and funny. 'Hey guys, aren't we crazy? A-HAAARGH! Whoa! We're, like, nuts!'

Gaz: I think all of your blog colleagues steer well clear of this one.