Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Gon-ads

I'm encroaching onto Munch's territory here but I have some advert thoughts and wanted to get them down.

1. Nappy adverts. When did they stop showing baby's asses being stroked? You know, to show that the baby is dry. I saw a nappy ad the other day and just wondered when the plug was pulled on that shot selection. Calm down, I'm no Pete Townsend (will that book be out in time for Christmas?). I just wondered - when did the penny drop that that was actually a bit weird?

2. That Virgin Trains ad. What's his big idea then, eh? The only thoughts I get on a train are "Isn't this supposed to be the quiet carriage?" and "Where is that smell of sick coming from?"
Well, I've taped the advert and run it back frame by frame. I can reveal what is contained within his frenzied scribbles. Something so mind-blowing that it causes a tribe of Red Indians to emerge from the British countryside and attack a train moving at 140mph.

5 comments:

Lord G said...

You really shouldn't use the phrase "plug was pulled" when talking about arses. Sicko.

Moon said...

Haven't seen the ad. It's clearly not on e4. Where can I get hold of this treat so I can understand it?! Btw Virgin trains are bothering me: they're hitting the headlines today because they are apparently so popular that they may run out of traintrack by 2015. So it is predicted that they will deal with it by increasing fares. So much for encouraging people to take public transport and reduce exhaust fumes from endless cars! Ra. V trains are too busy already, incidentally. I rarely get a seat! And they need more luggage space. Do they address that issue in their mystery ad I wonder?

Moon said...

oh dear it appears I ranted. sorry!

frankien said...

Sometimes virgin trains are empty and its bliss. If we cant have any more trains (but why cant they just make them bigger? I'm not really getting that argument) then that means we are presumably meant to take the national express. Oh hang on, we've got back to thr subject of national express! National express are awful. I have only once used their service, and was dropped off at Peterborough for an hour while the coach driver took a lunch break before heading on to Norwich. Why didnt they just have two drivers in the first place?

Moon said...

Down with National Express! They are as expensive as trains, allow you less room and take 3 times as long. Good song, though. Virgin are apparently going to add 2 more carriages when they need to (NOW!) as that is all that station platforms can cope with. But GNER have trains that far exceed the delights of Wakefield Westgate, Retford and the likes - you just walk through to coach D (quiet coach) to alight said train. Come on Branson, sort it out!

Prof I'm sorry that this blog has turned into a rant at trains rather than an appreciation of a joke. Still haven't seen the ad.