Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I pity the fool that thinks I'm dead

A few months ago I was using a ruler to measure a massive poo on my street. It feels healthier and much more pleasing to be getting my measuring kicks by assessing the growth of my sunflowers. Today the front runner passed the 1m mark. A happy evening in the Tombolablog household, believe me.

But this blog is not about the tall specimens.
This is dedicated to the toughest plant I have ever seen. Even being snapped in two didn't stop it. I was very close to binning it as I didn't want it hindering the growth of the plant it was sharing a pot with, but it has clung to life by a thread and bounced back. It's the Kenny Dobbins (google him) of the horticulture world. It will never win any medals, but it certainly deserves one.






3 comments:

Moon said...

Alright, Prof, that is pretty incredible. Has it grown new shoots out of the broken stalk? Has it been genetically modified?! My (completely organic) flowers are also competitors for the toughest plant trophy, successfully battling against the elements, slugs AND blackfly, despite being half-eaten away.

Any baby birds (cue "you're gorgeous") in the Brixton garden?

Tombola said...

The wind snapped it almost completely in two. It was attached by the slimmest thread of stem and I thought that there could not possibly be any way back. But as you can see, it just bent itself back up like Terminator and kept going. Relentless. And yes, I think there is even a new shoot poking out from the wreckage. No genetic modification has occurred, I can assure you.

As for baby birds...not sure. There's a pretty raggedy looking blue tit knocking about but that aside I've not seen any. Do you have some?

Moon said...

That is quite impressive. I would have thought that watery goodness would no longer reach bits of the plant from the roots.

No baby birds here either. Thought you might have rigged up another camera system. My sister has nest boxes full of exciting chicks. Last night I was painting until late and had Springwatch Nightshift on in the background. "Live". Rubbish. What cheap telly, and the camera was on a chick in a box rather than some exciting cheeky cat stealing stuff, or something. Sort it out, Beeb.