Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Parker planted a purple pepper

I know what you've been thinking:

'Hey Tombola, after the success of your gardening adventures last summer, what will you be trying this year?'

Funny you should ask! We've been busy recently starting work on some new home grown veg. While not having as much room as we did in Brixton, our new place does have a small garden and we've been able to get a few things going. There doesn't seem anywhere obvious to get record-breaking sunflowers going this time around. My attempt to wrest the title from Ak may have to wait.

A couple of weeks ago we got things underway indoors, planting tomatoes, peppers (new for 2008!), and, excitingly, some of the runner beans that were kept from last year's crop. The circle of life indeed.



Our bathroom windowsill, last week.






At the weekend I got creative with another growbag, this time putting together a cane / twine trellis combo that I'm rather proud of.







I also took some precautionary anti-pest measures, involving some pretty unpleasant wire reclaimed from a disposable BBQ (shredding my fingers in the process). Slugs will need to be Steve McQueen on a motorbike to get past that.



Look out for more thrilling horticulture hi-jinks over the coming weeks, vegetable fans!

3 comments:

frankien said...

I dont believe it, was just about to post about growing things! Good for you Tom. I am going to try growing chikoo from some seeds. I found chikoos (they're fruit in case you're wondering, as I'd never heard of them before) on offer at tesco and have kept the seeds to see if I can grow anything in my office. its hot as a greenhouse in here so (green)fingers crossed.

Tombola said...

Cheers Munch, look forward to seeing your pics of soil-filled pots and tiny green specks!

Had never heard of chikoos - what's the fruit like? Are they seasonal, locally grown produce?

frankien said...

I think they're an indian fruit so not particularly local. we have some weird stuff at our tesco. and yet, its only in the last year they've started selling risotto rice. Which was probably only because I had a massive tantrum about it. They tried to show me microwave risotto rice, but didnt get that it wasnt much good if you wanted to make a risotto. I lost my patience (it is very small and therefore easily lost) and proceeded to rant about what microwave rice says about us as a society. sorry, I've digressed somewhat. but I think you'll agree I had a point. anyway, look out for chikoo, its in the section labelled 'weird foreign fruit'.