Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Always in my HOUSE!

Two years on from the runaway success* of John Barry Bingo, we're doing it again. That's right, this evening we'll be getting very excited about Always in my HOUSE!** - The Pet Shop Boys concert lottery game.

Following the procedures established almost exactly two years ago, a selection from PSB's perfect pop catalogue was prepared:


and the draw was made to produce two game cards. Here's mine:


I hope Neil shows more interest tonight. And here is CP's:



For those interested in the finer details of this, I selected the tracks largely from the Pop/Art collection, plus a few from the current Yes album. Neither of us were lucky enough to pick the bankers 'Love etc.' and 'Did you see me coming?' and we both have a couple of wildcards in there (I think the chances of playing 'Se a vida e' or 'Opportunities (let's make lots of money)' are fairly remote to be honest).

It's strange that this will be the first time I have seen them perform live, because they were the first band that I got into. 'Actually' on cassette was the first album I owned, and listened to repeatedly on my first cassette player - a big red Panasonic (still going strong) - and first personal stereo - a big turquoise block from Boots (long since departed). It was around this time that I had a fall out with my best friend at primary school. He had previously said that PSB were his favourite group as well, but then in Junior Two he told everyone that Michael Jackson was his favourite. Turncoat! Everyone (by which I mean boys, the opinions of girls were of no interest to me at that time) said Michael Jackson was the best. I was never a fan of his, and probably enjoyed ploughing a lone furrow. I remember eagerly listening to the Top 40 one Sunday at my grans and cheering as 'Heart' reached Number 1. You don't get that with downloads blah blah blah.

Other memories popped up while writing this. In Junior Four, our teacher must have been experimenting with teaching methods or something as I can remember that we were able to bring music in and have it on while working at a particular table. I brought in my 'Introspective' cassette and sat down to work. The extended orchestral opening to 'Left to my own devices' was barely half a minute in when the teacher asked, with disgust, 'What's this?'. I mumbled something about it picking up in a minute and willed it to hurry through to the main bit of the song. Unrelated, I once played my gran the same track, and remember her saying as the drum machine started and the second intro bit kicked in, 'Here they come!'.



Although they've not been 'my favourite band' now for several years, I've remained a fan throughout. I really ought to have gone to their show at the Tower of London a couple of years ago and since missing that I decided that I would take the next opportunity. And as if the prospect wasn't exciting enough, there'll be added bingo!




* Well, I enjoyed it.

** I reckon Craig is the only one who will get that. Munch as an outside bet. I found it very difficult to come up with a PSB/bingo pun - can you do better?

4 comments:

escapade1935 said...

Yes, I got it!

I reckon you'll both have a long wait for Flamboyant...and Indefinite leave to remain?! no chance.

How about, Let's make lotto money? Or something to do with Bingo-Bilingual? I know, they are lame.

I'm seeing tham at the O2 tomorrow!

Craig

Tombola said...

true...I cut up about 25 songs for us to lucky dip from. Probably should have selected fewer in hindsight.

You should play along tomorrow!

frankien said...

I know that on the remix version of always on my mind (from introspective) it said always in my house at some point. Was that what you meant?

Tombola said...

Aye, that's the one Munch. Well done!