Monday, May 07, 2007

Garden state

Time for an update...

Since getting involved with sunflowers, we've also started with tomatoes and runner beans. I've also got adventurous and tried to grow a buddleia from a cutting. I picked up some rooting powder and then went on a mission to get some cuttings, dragging CP along as my accomplice. She stood looking embarrassed while I hacked at a shrub in the garden of someone else down our street. I've tried about 10 separate cuttings, and at the moment, I'm hopeful of some success. A few are pictured (below left) and although a couple are now looking very sorry indeed, another one or two are doing pretty well.


It's now 4 weeks since the first sunflower seeds were planted. Sadly, the brave seeds planted directly into the flowerbeds didn't fare too well. Despite daily watering and a nice bed of fresh compost, it must be assumed they never germinated as there remains no sign of them.



Thankfully, several other seeds were planted in pots inside. And they're going really well! We've even started naming a couple of them. 'Senior' (pictured right) is the older brother of 'Junior' (their names inspired by the 'Move your feet' hitmakers). He's going well, measured today at about 16cm.

Back outside and I tried planting some in the flowerbed once they had toughened up a bit indoors. These brave souls have been christened 'the twins'. There's probably no room for sentiment in the tough realm of the
garden but I'm a bit of a sap and my inability to ruthlessly thin out the seedlings could seriously hamper our chances of victory in this competition. The twins are now a few cm apart and doing pretty well (left) but loads of our seedlings remain together as I don't like separating them and breaking their roots. Ah well, I guess I'd be happy with a garden with twice as many stunted flowers as I would with a few lonely giants...

3 comments:

Moon said...

16cm - most impressive. Senior looks grand. You should play "move your feet" at him and see if he grows. Does anyone remember that documentary about this guy who used to play music to his tomatoes? Frankien - you remember everything! Each one had headphones. Apparently it made them happier, and improved their health. Bring back those old dancing flowers, I say!

Tombola said...

Cheers Unit. I've not been playing them tunes, but I have been talking to my various crops. I think Prince Charles recommend that, so who am I to disagree. As Annie Lennox might say.

frankien said...

I am embarrassed to say that I dont remember the documentary, though I did see something once about how music helps plants grow by stimulating movement (of something scientifically named which I can't remember) within the leaf cells. I used to sing to my plant lynda and she was very healthy until I took her back to Rugby and I stopped singing to her. There you go, its scientifically proven.