Friday, March 03, 2006

These boots were made for scoring


Since leaving Leeds I’ve done zero exercise and this had been a cause of concern. I might get fat. Ha! But tonight, the silver boots were unleashed upon the hallowed polished boards of Brixton Recreation Centre.

Look at them! Rather snazzy, I think you’ll agree. One might even call them ‘bling’. A guy from the IOP books an hour of 5 a side every week and tonight was my first time going along. I was pretty nervous before playing for 2 reasons:

1. I’d never met any of the other players, and as my performances tend to fluctuate between ok and shocking, I was worried about looking crap.

2. Didn’t you see those trainers??? Who do I think I am? Paulo di Canio?

I really was nervous before playing – so much so that I managed to mess up the apparently simple act of saying my name. [There is a precedent here: I also managed to make a hash of saying my name when making my appearance on cult* ITV quiz show ‘The Machine’. Despite not letting me reshoot this bit, the producers took pity on me and this was not broadcasted].

However, I’m delighted to say that it went really well and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Kitted out in sky blue, Uwe Rosler era City kit, I bagged a hat trick (including 2 through the keeper's legs) & numerous assists, as well as hitting the post twice. I had hoped that IOP colleague Dr Raj Persaud might have made an appearance but it wasn’t to be. Maybe next week.

* For ‘cult’, read ‘late-night, low-budget trash’.

Admittedly, there isn’t a lot to this entry, but I was going to put it on just because I needed something new. But it leads neatly to my next piece….

No comments: