Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A cry for help

Comrades, I fear the worst. Spirits in the camp are low and we are now fearing the end. We have word that the enemy is growing in number and they are gathering on the horizon. Surely we do not have long before they make their assault. It feels like all we can do now is pray, and wait.

The goddam pigeons are really getting me down. The rain has knacked the masking tape and so my screw/pen combo has failed. And it's not just one or two pigeons now either - there are loads of the bastards. I apologise for the expletives but this is really depressing me now.

Munch asked why I'm trying to ban the pigeons anyway - why can only some birds dine at my feeder? Here are my reasons:

1. they eat everything. Everything. The other, smaller birds don't stand a chance.
2. they are heavy - constantly landing on the feeder will surely soon knock it off the window. It will then most likely break when it hits the floor. And no birds will eat then. Will you be happy then pigeons???
3. have I said they eat everything? well they do it bloody quickly too. If I were to refill the feeder every time it gets empty I would end up spending more on feeding the birds than I do on feeding myself. Some of the pigeons probably have higher BMI than me as it is.

So I need suggestions. And not just 'shoot them'. How can I be rid of this menace?

7 comments:

- said...

replace your feeder with a hanging seed feeder and use your cunning construction skills to come up with something to hang it off.

A
xx

Tombola said...

i was weighing up the possibilities at lunch just now and that is a contender. One question though: can robins use hanging seed feeders?

Tombola said...

cos i have a robin that regularly visits the existing feeder

frankien said...

I dont see why a robin couldnt use a hanging feeder- all birds can, cant they? am I to assume that the pigeons are just too massive to hold on? they are big. even our cats dont try to catch them.

Lord G said...

Emus have trouble using them if dangled from first-story windows, so I hear.

Pigeons are also disease-ridden rats that fly, or at least the urban variety are. Leprosy on your window? No thanks!

cp said...

there are handy hints at www.wildbirds.com/feeding_pigeons.htm or make the feeder look like something out of robot wars with www.gullstop.co.uk/shop.asp?catergory=pigeons

Tombola said...

Thanks there to our pigeon correspondent, CP!