Friday, June 09, 2006

What’s in the box? See whatcha got!

Although it may not look like it, my life is not one constant rotation of jive dancing and bonding with nature. No, sometimes I also manage to do other stuff and last Sunday that meant joining the East London hipsters at the 4th Art Car Boot Sale in a car park off Brick Lane.

I wasn’t convinced by the Rich Tea biscuits bitten and signed by Gavin Turk and the badges/T-shirts involving Ken Livingstone, the congestion charge logo and an extreme swear word weren’t convincing me to open my wallet either.

One thing did grab me though: Truck Art



This was a truck full of outwardly identical boxes. You pay £30 and pick a box. Inside is a piece of artwork. Simple. I’m not usually the adventurous kind but sod it, nothing ventured and all that. So into the truck I went, hoping that I’d pick something brilliant.

Here’s my box:


I must have been the first to have a go, because a photographer started snapping away as I unwrapped my box, and a small crowd soon gathered to see what I had got. And here it is:




The accompanying certificate tells me that my work is by Hackerman Ines Virginia*. Here’s what else is on the certificate:

“A colourful tablecloth is the main subject of the series given to me by a boy from Sri Lanka. He was blind in one eye. He could only see strong colours on the other.”

Title of the work: “Mainland”, May 2006.

Born in Dover in 1985. Studied BA Fine Arts at Goldsmith’s College but never completed the degree due to health problems. Lives and works in Dover.

A list of exhibitions shows that Hackerman’s work has been shown in London, Prague, Bologne and Berlin.

* Subsequent google searching suggests that her name is actually Virginia Hackerman. I have only managed to find one link to her (which refers to the Prague work). If anyone can do any better, let me know.

2 comments:

- said...

Brilliant!

Nick the truck and drive it up to Leeds. I want a go!

Lord G said...

You need to trim that Mancy barnet. You look proper mad for it.