Monday, June 05, 2006

Vorsprung durch technik






Pretty ingenious, I think you’ll agree! The camera sits in the punnet, facing the window. The lead on the left connects to the laptop.

But did it work? Well, yes.... eventually.

I was awake early, eagerly awaiting the sound of activity outside the window. But nothing. Not a peep. I was pretty confused – previously they couldn’t get enough of the window food action, but now nothing. It was mid-afternoon that I realised that maybe the sun was reflecting off the camera and the glare would be putting off any hungry birds. I removed the camera and began to ponder how I could somehow camouflage it… Within 20 minutes though, the birds were back. This time a couple of blue tits had joined the fray. I also realised that the sun wasn’t pointing directly at the window any longer and so maybe the camera could go back into position…

Success!


3 comments:

Moon said...

Well done! My uncle's got one of those nest boxes with a camera already in it. You can see LIVE the 5 fledglings and their antics. They're about to leave the nest now. Would probably be easier to set up than the punnet/camera display, but perhaps less of an achievement.

Lord G said...

If u had a decent camera I could tell you some things to do that would make the pics better, but it depends on the features it has...

Tombola said...

Actually G, that would be very helpful and I had intended to ask for tips. I think a large part of the problem with these is that they are done remotely and the focusing is a bit of a problem. There are two options: auto and manual, but when I tried manual it didn't really let me do anything and came out looking less focused than the pics you see on the blog.